Open Daily
Eat-in, Carry-out, or Delivery


Mon-Thurs, Sun: 11 am - 11 pm
Fri & Sat: 11 am - 12 am

717-334-4721
717-334-8966

Our Story
Untitled Document

 

Tommy's Pizza Online Ordering

Tommy's Pizza was founded in June of 1973, by Greek immigrant, Thomas Kranias and his wife, Nancy (Heller).  Tommy was born in the northern mountains of Greece, in September 1930, to Sophia and Hristos Kranias.  He grew up in a family which included three younger siblings.  The family lived a meager life on the land of a small farm where they raised chickens and goats, and grew their own crops for food.


Tommy's uncle, Ernest Kranias, had immigrated to the United States years before, and settled in Gettysburg, Pa.  Ernest established himself as a restaurateur, owning and operating The Texas Lunch.  The successful hot dog shop is still in operation today on Chambersburg Street, operated by Ernest's grandson, Ernie and his wife Linda.  During a family visit to Greece in the late 1930's, Uncle Ernie took a liking to nephew Tommy.  When Ernie returned to the United States he vowed to bring his nephew to "America, the land of opportunity" in the hopes that Tommy could make a better life here.
 
Tommy arrived at New York's Ellis Island on November 8, 1951.  He was 21 years old, spoke not a word of English, and came with little more than the clothes on his back and the sandals on his feet.  Uncle Ernie and Aunt Emily immediately put Tommy to work at the hot dog shop.  There, he thrived as a hard worker and made a multitude of friends while learning to speak and write English.  In 1955 he met and married Nancy Heller, a local "Biglerville girl".  Late in 1955 they had a baby daughter, Catherine and six years later they welcomed son Chris.
 
In early 1973, Tommy decided to strike out on his own.  He rented, and later bought, the former railroad station on North Washington Street which previously operated as a little restaurant called The Whistlestop.  In early June of 1973, he opened the doors of Tommy's Pizza which was an instant success.  The success of Tommy's Pizza was primarily due to the many friends Tommy came to know during his 19 years working at the Texas Lunch.
 
In 1981, son Chris joined the family business, followed by daughter Cathy in 1983.  In 1987, Tommy and Nancy sold the railroad station property to Gettysburg College, and purchased the current property located at 105 Steinwehr Avenue.  During the years that followed, Cathy's husband Bill joined the business.  He and Cathy were busy working and raising their three young children, Wade, Drew, and Nikki.  In 1995, Cathy and Bill purchased Tommy's Pizza.

In 1992, Tommy and Nancy purchased The Plaza restaurant on Lincoln Square. With the help of son Chris, they turned the establishment into a successful restaurant until they decided to sell it in early 2012.
 
The Leedy family still owns and operates Tommy's Pizza today.  Son Wade joined the business full-time in 1998 after graduating from Millersville University, with younger son Drew following in early 1999.  Daughter Nikki resides in West Virginia where she is employed as a Nurse Practitioner. Wade and Drew have begun to take over the daily management of the business, while parents Cathy and Bill begin to plan for retirement.
 
"We are very proud to be the third generation to continue the traditions set forth by our grandfather and grandmother", say Wade and Drew.
 
Sadly, Tommy passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly on May 30, 1999.  There is not a day goes by that we do not think of him- father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and try to honor his memory.

 

 

Untitled Document
Copyright © 2013 Tommy's Pizza Inc of Gettysburg, Pa